The K Donahue Foundation, Inc. DBA Man Up Crusade® is a non-profit organization designed to bring awareness to the issue of domestic violence. Domestic violence is an epidemic in our society and a public health and safety concern.
A child's exposure to domestic abuse is the strongest risk factor for
transmitting violent behavior from one generation to the next. Awareness is the first step in enacting change and the Man Up Crusade is dedicated to creating awareness and breaking the cycle of violence.
Domestic Violence Facts:
- Every 9 seconds a woman in the United States is assaulted or beaten.
- 1 in 4women and 1 in 7 men will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
- Everyday in the United States, an average of 3 women and 1 man are murdered by their domestic partner.
- Children who witness domestic violence in their home are twice as likely to become abusers or victims as adults.
- 10 million children in United States witness some form of domestic violence annually.
- 92 percent of women surveyed listed domestic violence and sexual assault as their top concern.
- Almost 50% of all police calls for service are for domestic violence.
The Man Up Crusade program was launched in 2012 by Canyon County Idaho Sheriff, Kieran Donahue and his wife Jeanie. The Man Up Crusade brings “purple night” into professional rodeos and bull riding events where fans, cowboys and stock contractors wear purple in solidarity to bring awareness to the issue of domestic violence.
Across the nation the purple ribbon has been adopted to show support for victims and advocates and to honor those who have lost their lives at the hands of someone they once loved. It is the goal of the Man Up Crusade to make the color purple recognized for domestic violence in a way the color pink is recognized for breast cancer.
Through these partnerships the Man Up Crusade encourages fundraising efforts for local domestic violence shelters or advocacy
groups and 100% of the funds raised at each event stays in that local
In 2013, Wrangler® and Montana Silversmiths® signed on with
the Man Up Crusade as national sponsors and continue to assist in the efforts to create an awareness and help break the cycle of domestic violence.